What is a gait evaluation?
A videotaped gait evaluation is a critical part of our normal physical therapy evaluation that will provide the physical therapist with the necessary information to deliver the highest level of care for each patient.
A comprehensive evaluation is performed, including a biomechanical assessment of the ankle and foot, during the course of the evaluation process. A videotaped running or walking gait analysis is done utilizing state-of-the-art computerized 2-D capturing software to allow for slow-motion analysis.
Common diagnoses that would benefit?
- Plantar fasciitis / Achilles tendinitis
- Calf, quad, hamstring, or glut muscle strain
- Metatarsalgia / Neuroma pain
- Medial shin pain (Stress reaction or fracture)
- Anterior / Infrapatellar knee pain
- Patellofemoral pain syndrome
- Iliotibial band (ITB) syndrome
- Trochanteric bursitis or hip pain
- Low back or Sacroiliac (SI) joint dysfunction
How does this help the patient?
- Recommendations for appropriate physical therapy intervention, including strength, flexibility, balance, and neuromuscular re-education exercises
- Footwear recommendations for training or racing
- Determining the need for an OTC, semi-custom or full-custom foot orthotic
- Recommendations on training modifications, pain management, form correction or cadence manipulation.
Who is appropriate for a gait evaluation?
Any individual who is active and is having difficulties maintaining their functional status due to an injury. From the pediatric to the geriatric population, mobility is critical to a healthy lifestyle, and keeping them walking or running safely is our primary goal.
How do I get started?
There are three ways that we can help:
- Referral for formal physical therapy from your pediatrician, primary care, podiatrist, or sports medicine specialist
- Direct access (depending on type of insurance) allows us to see you for 10 visits or 21 days without the initial referral from your healthcare provider and bill your insurance as part of a formal physical therapy program
- Self-pay program which allows us to evaluate and educate any individual without the need for referral from your healthcare provider, especially for those walkers/runners that are looking for a single session. Cost: $75.00
Virtual Gait Analysis
To make an appointment or for more information about any of our physical therapy or specialty programs, please call Armor Physical Therapy during normal business hours or Contact us at one of our seven convenient locations in Battle Creek, East Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo/Oshtemo, Mattawan, Plainwell, Portage, and Schoolcraft, MI.