Your hip joints are some of the most important structures in your body, and they’re involved in normal daily activities like walking, running and climbing stairs. However, problems with the muscles around your hip can trigger pain and other symptoms.
Hip pain is a common issue for Americans. Up to 40% of people who play sports develop hip pain, and up to 15% of U.S. adults over 60 also have hip pain. Working with a physical therapist can help you learn how to avoid many causes of hip pain. These specialists can use many techniques to help prevent hip pain, but physical therapy exercises can be especially useful for people with this goal. A few therapeutic exercises that your therapist could recommend to prevent hip issues include the:
- Supine hamstring stretch
Purpose: This exercise is often used by physical therapists for hip issue prevention because it can help reduce tension in the hamstring muscles.
How to do the supine hamstring stretch:
- Lie down on your back on a yoga mat or bed.
- Bend your right knee and place your right foot flat on the floor.
- Leave your left leg straight with your toes pointing toward the ceiling.
- Clasp your hands around the back of your right thigh.
- Pull your thigh toward your chest until it forms a 90-degree angle with the ground.
- Slowly straighten your leg until you feel a stretch in the back of your thigh.
- Hold this stretch for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Switch legs and repeat the stretch with your left leg.
- Continue to stretch your legs until you’ve done both legs three times.
- Hip flexor stretch
Purpose: The hip flexor stretch is a physical therapy exercise that’s designed to reduce tension in your hip flexors.
How to do the hip flexor stretch:
- Kneel down on the floor on your left knee and place your right foot flat on the floor in front of you.
- Maintain good, upright posture in your back and neck.
- Tighten your abs.
- Push your body forward until you feel a gentle stretch in the front of your left hip.
- Hold this stretch for 45 to 60 seconds.
- Switch legs and stretch your right leg.
- Repeat the stretch until you’ve targeted each leg three times.
Find even more help with hip issue prevention and treatment at Armor Physical Therapy
Are you looking for physical therapy to help treat or prevent a hip problem? If you are, look no further than our team of specialists at Armor Physical Therapy. We offer free screenings that can identify any current hip issues you have, and this service can even pinpoint underlying issues that can lead to future hip problems.
In addition, our physical therapists are adept at building personalized therapy programs designed to reduce your pain and prevent future hip issues. We can even assist you right in your own home thanks to our at-home care and virtual therapy services.
Contact us today for more information about how we can help you treat and prevent hip issues or to schedule an initial appointment.