It’s normal for athletes to encounter some form of injury in their athletic career. Many of these injuries are minor, such as a muscle pull. Athletes can recover from these kinds of injuries after a few days of rest and home treatments. However, some sports injuries are more serious and require professional treatment.
It’s important to stop competing and get help when you notice severe and long-lasting pain. This may be the symptom of a serious condition that will only grow worse if left untreated. Usually, athletes will recognize the signs of a serious injury, but some are tempted to push through the pain.
Some common sports injuries that your pain may be related to include:
- Sprains and strains
- Dislocated joints
- Knee injuries — especially the ACL
Your physician should be able to examine your injury and identify the cause. He or she can recommend the right treatment that should have you back on your feet so you can keep competing.
Treatments for sports injuries
There are many treatments for sports injuries since there are many ways for athletes to get injured. Depending on the nature of your injury and the severity of your pain, your treatment may include:
- Prescription painkillers — Sometimes, the pain is too difficult to bear while your injury recovers. In these cases, your physician may prescribe medications to help manage the pain. These medications are much stronger than what you’ll find without a prescription.
- Supportive devices — Many sports injuries require rest and immobility while recovering. Slings, casts and other devices can help support and immobile the injured area while it recovers.
- Surgery — Some injuries are too severe to be treated with conventional methods. Fractures, ACL tears and other similar injuries require surgery for a complete treatment. This is the last resort in most cases but is sometimes unavoidable.
- Physical therapy — Physical therapists can help strengthen and stretch the muscles to help promote a faster and better recovery. These treatments may help prevent injury in the future and can reduce the need for surgery.
Contact Armor Physical Therapy for a sports injury treatment
The physical therapists at Armor Physical Therapy can help athletes of all levels in all sports recover from physical injuries. We can help you even if you are not injured. Our physical therapists can help you train to improve your strength, flexibility, balance, coordination and gait.
Would you like to know more about what physical therapy can do for athletes? Contact us today to talk to one of our team members and schedule a consultation.