Participating in sports is a healthy way to condition your body, but it can also put a lot of strain on you. If you have pain or discomfort, you may be wondering if physical therapy can help get you back to normal. Sports performance physical therapy can help athletes recover after an injury. It can also help prevent future injuries.
Are you wondering if sports performance physical therapy is right for you? There are many experienced sports performance physical therapists in western Michigan. These professionals can help you determine if this type of PT is right for you. They offer many helpful services, too.
Five kinds of sports performance physical therapy in western Michigan
- Manual therapy — Functional movement screenings help physical therapists identify muscular deficiencies. These might cause discomfort or can lead to injuries and are often caused by muscle imbalances. Manual therapy manipulates the soft tissue to stimulate affected areas, which can reduce pain and swelling.
- Gait evaluation — Gait evaluations can help diagnose the cause of discomfort while running. The physical therapist will conduct a biomechanical assessment of the ankle and foot. This allows the therapist to recommend the appropriate therapeutic interventions. This includes different footwear or neuromuscular reeducation.
- Redcord — Redcord is a suspension-based technique effective in neuromuscular reeducation or rehabilitation. The suspension activates the debilitated muscles, which essentially resets the muscles. This method can help correct muscular imbalances.
- Biomechanical evaluations for cyclists — A specialist will evaluate you while biking. This allows them to assess your foot and ankle biomechanics. Then they can make appropriate adjustments to your biking position. They can also suggest strength/flexibility exercises to help improve your cycling performance.
- Lactate threshold testing — Testing the blood lactate levels will allow endurance athletes to train more efficiently. The results from this test can be used to optimize athletic performance. The therapist will prick fingers to draw blood during training. Lactate threshold testing can provide athletes with important data; this information can help guide their training parameters.
Armor PT can help athletes take their sports performance to the next level
Armor Physical Therapy offers physical therapy for athletes in western Michigan. Do you want to improve your sports performance? Our experienced team can help manage your injuries or help prevent future injuries. We offer free screenings in western Michigan that can help determine if physical therapy is right for you.
Contact us today for more information about the kinds of sports performance physical therapy we offer in western Michigan, or to schedule an initial appointment.